Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Virgin Experience

I cannot recall when I last flew Virgin Atlantic, if at all. My most recent trip with them however, was fantastic, to say the least.

I was a tad bit weary as searching for reviews online did not give a positive image about the airline. The more I searched, the more disappointed I became. However, I still gave the airline the benefit of my doubt since much of the bickering from other passengers (no offense) seemed to be focused on one main issue expounded to create an entire episode of dramatic contexts. Considering that I have travelled extensively over the years, it would not befit my judgement to drown out the possibility of flying with Virgin, especially since verbal assurances from previous travellers proved better than the written ones.

And so I flew with VS on May 24th between JFK and LHR, a massive Boeing 747-400.

The boarding was a hassle free and pleasant experience - considering the ground staff were extremely helpful and courteous. As we settled into the aircraft ready for departure, the cabin crew were even more pleasant and friendly, ensuring all passengers were taken care of in every way possible. Shortly after 1940 hrs, we took off for the 6 hour journey across the Atlantic. I watched out the window as the beautiful sunset threw out majestic colors of red, orange and yellow, all as a backdrop behind the silhouetted buildings of the Manhattan skyline. In its most dramatic and metaphorical analogy, the sun also set on a part of my life that is now over.

Service
A few minutes after take off, a choice of soft drinks or fresh juice and a small snack was served - which is pretty much expected on every airline (even Royal Jordanian). Dinner followed and I must say that the food was quite good. Grilled chicken, vegetable fried rice with steamed broccoli and green beans was the main course, with a side of salad and fresh fruits. Not bad at all.

Inflight Entertainment
The inflight system was much better than most airlines, except Emirates of course.

Here is the best part of it all: The interactive map display (which admittedly is not provided by even Emirates), was quite interesting to say the least, but considering that at any given moment you could select from the drop down menu, the qiblah (direction) of Makkah (Mecca) was astounding on a Western Carrier no less. Usually I would rely on the standard flight maps and figure out the direction of Makkah based on the flight path, but hats off to Virgin for incorporating this on their screen menu none the less!

The system had the most recent movies. Some passengers either started selecting their choice of entertainment, or stretched out on some seats for a short nap (the flight was not full) for the remainder of the flight. I had the three seats to myself, which turned out to be even more pleasant. The only disappointing aspect (ah, yes; here we go) on this flight was the breakfast.

Prior to arrival, they offered either coffee, tea, or fresh juice, and a muffin. They were not even served on trays, mind you! Again, if I did compare this to say, British Airways or Emirates, Virgin certainly fell short on it. Despite this short fall, I would recommend Virgin to anyone choosing to fly internationally.

Next
My next trip: Emirates Airlines. Considering my spontaneous lifestyle (my unce who picked me up was even confused what city I was coming from!), it could be another airline before the anticipated trip in July. I hope the summer goes well for everyone - I know mine should be great in London.

No comments: